Friday, October 30, 2009

Sharem El-Sheikh

Last weekend, I traveled with some friends to Sharem El-Sheikh, a resort town on the southern tip of the Sinai peninsula in Egypt. I was really excited about spending time at the beach and visiting nearby Mount Sinai, the traditional site where Muslims, Christians, and Jews believe that Moses recieved the ten commandments from God after the Israelites were freed from slavery in Egypt.
Sharem is also a bit of a party town, but before getting too excited you should know that it is a very Eastern European style party - lots of techno music, lots of vodka, and lots of Russians.

I am not a huge fan of Russian parties - I don't like techno or vodka, and they weren't speaking much English either. I did have some fun though. I ate good food, smoked good sheesha, enjoyed the water, and watched an amazing sunrize. Our climb up Mount Sinai alone was worth the trip (covered in its own post).

This picture was taken at the duty free liquor store in the airport before we left. See the lines? I have never seen this many people buying this much liquor before a flight home. Must be an Eastern European thing.

1 comment: